In April 2013, the Government announced new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport. The funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of sport provision. Funding has been allocated to all maintained and state-funded schools with primary phase children from 1st September 2013.
Our school was allocated £9,651 for the year 2016-2017. We used the funding in the following ways:
- We employed our own qualified sports coach to teach P.E to the children and to help with the physical development of our Foundation Stage children.
- We increased the number of extra-curricular sports clubs (18 in total) as breakfast and after school clubs which we subsidise – these include activities such as fencing, multi-sports, street dance and mini-Olympics. We employed specialist qualified sports coaches from Premier Sports to run these clubs.
- we attended 8 different Sports Festivals with KS1 and KS2 pupils and used funding to release staff.
- We set up sports competitions and events between schools.
- We procured expert advice and quality-assured professional training from the Premier Sports specialist team.
- We provided curriculum support for teachers from Beth Tweddle the Gymnastic coach for delivery of Gymnastics.
- All pupils attended the ‘Farm to Fork’ trip at Tesco to raise awareness of healthy eating and to give children the opportunity to try healthy new foods.
- We ran a family activity course (6 sessions) and a family cookery course (6 sessions) to encourage families to be more active and provide healthy meals.
- Our total spend exceeded the allocation. The impact has been apparent in increasing the number of children taking part in extra-curricular sports clubs and the children’s progress in P.E skills through the use of qualified sports coaches. In the last school year 53% of pupils have attended an extra curricular school sports club and 37.5% of Upper Key Stage 2 pupils have represented the school. This was a significant impact on previous years
We intend continue to use the funding in the same way this academic year.